- Situated in two areas of the cytoplasm, few are seen scattered in the cytoplasm and a few are connected to the endoplasmic reticulum.
- 80S ribosomes respectively comprising of little (40S) and substantial (60S) subunits.
- Composed of RNA (rRNA) and ribosomal protein.
- Whenever joined to the ER they are called the rough endoplasmic reticulum.
- The free and the bound ribosomes are very much alike in structure and are associated with protein synthesis.
Figure 5- Ribosome
- They assemble amino acids to form specific proteins, proteins are essential to carry out cellular activities.
- The proteins that are synthesized by the ribosomes present in the cytoplasm are used in the cytoplasm itself. The proteins produced by the bound ribosomes are transported outside the cell.